City Colleges of Chicago 2023 Commencement Ceremonies for Associate Degree Earners
Saturday, May 6, 2023
Morning Ceremony: 10:00 a.m.
Celebrating the graduates of:
Harold Washington College
Harry S Truman College
Richard J. Daley College
Afternoon Ceremony: 3:30 p.m.
Celebrating the graduates of:
Malcolm X College
Wilbur Wright College
Tickets required; Doors will open one (1) hour before the start of each ceremony.
Both ceremonies will be livestreamed on this website (www.ccc.edu/graduation) on Saturday, May 6.
Congratulations, soon-to-be graduate!
You have important graduation deadlines coming up.
Thanks for all that you do to support our students and their success.
If you would like to volunteer at the Wintrust Arena on graduation day, please click here.
Full-time faculty can use the same link to complete your commencement participation form.
We know you’re looking forward to celebrating your graduate.
Read the FAQ below for more information about how to get to Wintrust Arena, what you can bring, and more.
Can’t make it in person? Both ceremonies will be livestreamed on this website (www.ccc.edu/graduation) on Saturday, May 6.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
When and where is graduation?
- City Colleges’ 2023 Commencement Ceremonies for Associate Degree Earners will take place on Saturday, May 6, 2023, at Wintrust Arena.
- Graduates will be celebrated during two ceremonies:
- The morning ceremony, which will begin at 10:00 a.m., will recognize graduates from Harold Washington College, Harry S Truman College, Olive-Harvey College, and Richard J. Daley College.
- The afternoon ceremony, which will begin at 3:30 p.m., will recognize graduates from Kennedy-King College, Malcolm X College, and Wilbur Wright College.
Who is recognized at commencement?
- City Colleges students who have earned an associate degree during the Summer 2022 or Fall 2022 semesters or who are expected to complete their associate degree during the Spring 2023 term will be recognized at the 2023 commencement ceremonies.
- To participate in the in-person ceremony, graduates must have ordered a cap and gown from Jostens and must have registered for the ceremony in MarchingOrder.
Do guests need a ticket to attend graduation? How can I get tickets?
- Guests are required to show a ticket to enter Wintrust Arena. Graduates will pick up tickets for their guests during GradFest (week of May 1). They should distribute tickets to guests prior to graduation.
Is seating assigned by ticket?
- Guest seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you would like to sit near the accessibility seating, please arrive early.
What time should I arrive at the ceremony?
- For graduates: Graduates must arrive at Wintrust Arena no later than 30 minutes before the start of their ceremony and must be seated in their designated seating 15 minutes before the start of their ceremony.
- For guests: Doors will open one (1) hour before the start of the ceremony for general seating—9:00 a.m. for the morning ceremony and 2:30 p.m. for the afternoon ceremony.
How long is the ceremony?
- Each ceremony is expected to last approximately two to 2.5 hours.
Will there be a livestream?
- The ceremony will be livestreamed at www.ccc.edu/graduation.
What is the difference between the in-person and virtual ceremonies?
- The in-person ceremony will be held at Wintrust Arena and will feature a traditional marching of graduates, performances, and speeches by selected staff, faculty, and students.
- The virtual ceremony will include a livestream of the event. Students will also be able to download their “graduation slide” (a designed graphic) from ccc.edu/graduation.
What accessible accommodations will be provided for those with disabilities?
- Graduates and guests who require accommodations should fill out this form: https://forms.office.com/r/zc44MZbuaR
- Graduates should also contact their college’s ACCESS Center as soon as possible to receive more information about the types of accommodations available and access to Wintrust Arena.
- Someone from City Colleges will be in touch with you after the request is received. If you made a request and did not receive a response, email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
- Available services for commencement include:
- Early admission to the ceremony
- Accessible seating area for mobility impairment/wheelchairs (Wintrust Arena does not have wheelchairs available)
- Sign language interpreters and a reserved seating section for Deaf or hard of hearing guests
- Large-print or braille commencement programs
How do I get to Wintrust Area?
- Wintrust Arena is located at the corner of East Cermak Road and Indiana Avenue. The address is 200 E. Cermak Road, Chicago, IL 60616.
- Please visit https://wintrustarena.com/plan-your-visit/directions/ to learn more about directions to the arena, public transportation options, parking, and more.
What is the mask policy at graduation?
- Graduates, City Colleges faculty and staff, and guests are encouraged to wear face masks during graduation.
What kind of bag can I bring to graduation?
- Wintrust Arena uses metal detectors and follows a policy limiting the size and style of bags allowed in the building. Guests may bring the following bags:
- Clear plastic, vinyl, or PVC bags that do not exceed 12″ x 6″ x 12″.
- Small clutch purses that do not exceed 4.5″ x 6.5″ in size. Bags may be hand carried or have a shoulder strap.
- One-gallon clear plastic freezer bag.
- Please visit https://wintrustarena.com/plan-your-visit/purse-bag-policy/ to learn more.
Can I bring posters/signs into the arena?
- Small posters/signs will be allowed in the arena as long as they do not obstruct the view of other guests. Approved signs are subject to building approval.
- Oversized signs (larger than 2’ x 3’) or signs on sticks will not be allowed.
Can I use an air horn during the ceremony?
- Wintrust Arena does not allow the use of noise-making devices, such as air horns, whistles, and related items.
What other items are prohibited?
- Luggage, backpacks, purses, or bags larger than a clutch (4.5″ x 6.5″ or 6.5″ x 4.5″)
- Outside food or beverage
- Cans, bottles, coolers, or other similar containers
- Laser pens, laser products, or glow sticks
- Balloons or strollers (infant car seats are allowed as long as they are not blocking an aisle)
- Projectiles (including frisbees and beach balls)
- Stickers of any kind
- Skateboards, skates (roller or in-line), scooters, or hover boards
- Sticks, poles, selfie sticks, or Go Pro sticks
- Weapons (knives, guns, chains, or any item that can be construed as a weapon)
- Illegal substances/drugs of any kind (an exception will be made for medically necessary items after proper inspection at the entrance)
- Any other item deemed unacceptable by City Colleges and/or Wintrust Arena
Is there a coat/umbrella check at Wintrust Arena?
- Graduates and guests will be required to bring any coats or jackets to their seats.
- Wintrust Arena does not allow large umbrellas. Small, hand-size umbrellas will be allowed in severe weather. Please call ahead (312-791-6900) for more information.
Will concessions be available at graduation?
- Limited food and beverage items will be available for purchase. For health code and safety reasons, the arena does not allow outside food and beverages, including water.
Can I buy flowers for my graduate at the arena?
- Flowers will be available for purchase at Wintrust Arena on graduation day.
When will I receive my diploma?
- Only diploma covers will be issued during the ceremony on May 6. For this reason, the conferring of degrees at the ceremony is provisional, pending verification that degree requirements have all been met. Students who graduated in the Summer or Fall semester should have received their diploma by mail. Log in to parchment.com to claim your digital diploma if you have not already done so.
- Students who will graduate at the end of the Spring semester will receive information regarding their final graduation audit and possible degree conferral via their student email. Students can expect to receive additional messaging in late June notifying you to log in to parchment.com to verify your mailing address and claim your digital diploma. You will have 72 hours from the time you receive the email to confirm your address, or it will be mailed to the address we have on file.